Pages

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Time Passes Far too Quickly

I've just been thinking - last year at this time we were back home from our first ever big family vacation to San Antonio, Texas on Thanksgiving weekend. It was my husband's dream for most of his life to go there and see the Alamo - in fact the first night when we drove by it on the bus and it was all lit up, a tear or two made their appearance in his eyes.




In the 22 years that we have been together we had never been on a big trip. Even our honeymoon was a weekend away in Banff. I am so glad he got to realize his dream and we so want to be able to go back as soon as we are able. It was a short year ago, and yet it seems so, so long ago. There has been a lot happen in the past year. Some really high highs and some really low lows and it is almost a wonder that I have even survived some of it.

Just shortly after our return from the big trip a huge tragedy struck our family and we lost such a dear, precious and generous lady. My mother-in-law was amazing to me and she left us on November 2, 2009. How we have gotten through this last year without her I don't know, but time seems to march on. I miss her so much.

I have gotten through the funeral, helping my husband navigate being the executor of the will and the scattering of the ashes being strong and steady. When I was canning tomatoes this summer though, I lost it. I turned into a complete blubbering mess while I was standing over a sink of ice water stripping 25 pounds of tomatoes of their skins. She loved my canned tomatoes, actually she loved everything I made for her. I would never be able to make them for her again. The wave of emotion that took me over was incredible and overwhelming and I grieved for her probably more deeply than I had all year.

This beautfiul lady taught me so much and I have so many wonderful memories of her . She has taught me so much about affection and caring and generosity. She loved her boys so much and as her first daughter-in-law, she welcomed me with such open arms and was so willing to accept me as her son's choice for a bride.  She was there for me - no matter what!

My life is different than it would have been because she was a part of it and I am so grateful for the years that I had with her. She was so beautiful inside and out. 

1 comment:

  1. sweet miranda. wish i was right beside you so i could give you a HUGE hug. i am so sorry your heart is hurting.
    i look forward to the day when we can both wrap our arms around the women we miss oh so much.

    p.s praying you'll get another chance to get away with hubby soon!!!

    ReplyDelete

I would love your feedback. Thank you for commenting.