Pages

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Further adventures from my kitchen - Baked Ziti

Kevin, my most wonderful husband was watching "The Sopranos" and they mentioned Baked Ziti a number of times so he turns to me and says, "I don't know what it is, but I want it".

His wish being my joy to fufill off I go to look up recipes and then make up my own twist.  YUUUUUMMMMYYYY!  I don't think I will ever do Lasagne again because this is so much better

Here's the recipe:

Baked Ziti

1 (16oz) package of dry ziti pasta (if you can't find ziti use penne)
1 pound extra lean ground beef
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves
Steak spice, salt & pepper to tasted
2 (28oz) jars spaghetti sauce (I used Ragu original)
6 oz sliced provolone cheese
6 oz sliced mozzarella cheese
1 1/2 cups sour cream
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil

1.  Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook until al dente, drain

2.  In a large pot/skillet, brown beef over medium heat. Add onions and garlic saute until tender. drain off fat and add spaghetti sauce; simmer for about 15 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 350 F (175 C)
4.  (This dish is supposed to be layered but the 9X13 pan isn't big enough so I just made a single layer in 2 separate pans and froze one for another day but if you have a lasagne pan big enough go ahead and layer.)  In a lightly greased 9X13 pan put a bit of the meat sauce so noodles don't stick. Place 1/2 of the pasta; top with a layer of provolone and mozzarella cheese slices. Spread on a layer of half the spaghetti sauce mixture and sour cream.  If layering add remaining pasta, cheese and sauce; sprinkle a layer of parmesan cheese and then top with the fresh basil
5.  Bake in preheated oven for about 30 minutes or until cheese and sauce are bubbly.  Let sit for a couple of minutes to set and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love your feedback. Thank you for commenting.